Monday, October 21, 2013

Commitment

"Just do it" is a slogan we all know from the Nike ads, and I've certainly used it myself when I've needed a push to finish something challenging. Commit, finish, quit whining, just do it!

Many clients come to see me after their coaches or trainers have told them 'you just need to focus more' or 'you need to commit fully' and have no idea what they are supposed to do. They are trying to focus, trying to fully commit, and yet find themselves becoming increasingly anxious, unfocused, and wanting to avoid the very activity they previously loved.

I was riding my bike this past weekend, and as a reasonably new solo rider I am still practicing different skills in a variety of new circumstances. Having recently noticed that my bike has a much better chance of remaining upright if I keep my head up and looking forward, I have been focusing on that, especially at low speeds. The feedback loop is pretty quick: if I am on an uneven surface when I come to a stop and I am looking at the ground, the bike will go over. If I am looking at the gas pump instead of straight ahead when I pull into a service station, the bike will go over. At 570 pounds, I can't hold it up once it gets off-center, and I have the scratches on the side panels to prove it.

Pushing my bike off the center stand where I had parked it while on the ferry crossing Puget Sound, I felt it tipping to the right. Refusing to give in to another fall, I jerked it with all my might to keep it upright. I committed all my energy and focus to the required action, and I succeeded. A moment's hesitation and I would have been picking myself and my bike off the deck.

A bit later, my friend, who was leading the ride, turned into a driveway and I followed. Noticing the gravel, and unsure what his plans were, I stopped to await his next move. Once he decided to pull through the parking lot and exit, I knew I had to follow. A sharp right turn, a gouged out portion of the driveway, and thick gravel awaited me. A new experience, and a tricky one to navigate. While noticing my heart rate increasing slightly, I turned the throttle and moved forward. The tendency in such situations is to slow down, to be cautious; yet the way to keep the bike upright is to accelerate. I committed to the necessary action despite my anxieties, focused on where I wanted the bike to go, and made it easily to the exit.

Focusing and commitment are actions. What specifically do you need to be doing, and what will bring your focus to that action? Once you decide what to do, are you willing to fully commit to taking the action? I help my clients learn these skills, and I practice them myself, no matter what activity I am doing.

I rode my first solo SaddleSore (1,000 miles on my bike within a twenty-four hour time frame) this past August. I knew I would complete the ride before I started: I was fully committed to the ride and what it would take to finish. I was mentally and physically prepared, knew what I needed to focus on while riding, and I could see myself at the finish, surrounded by friends I knew would be there. Focus and commitment were key to my success.


No comments:

Post a Comment